Online Course: April 1 – May 12
Pricing: $650 member/$775 nonmember
During the six-week online course, participants examine challenges and explore solutions relevant to the rapidly changing field of IR through readings, discussions, exercises, and videos. Each week, participants follow Barbara (a Director of IR) and Mark (her new employee) as they consider what it means to be an institutional researcher in the current higher education landscape.
- What is a holistic approach to IR? In week 1, we provide an overview of the course and you meet your cohort colleagues through the course discussion board.
- What does it mean to be an IR professional? In week 2, we explore the profession, including its history, where it stands today, and where it is headed, and introduce the AIR Statement of Ethical Principles and Duties and Functions of IR.
- What is decision support? In week 3, we focus our attention on the why of reporting and analysis and stress the importance of knowing your audience and identifying best practices when transforming data into information.
- How are data managed and governed? In week 4, we discuss data as institutional assets and address the importance of data quality, security, privacy, and access to ensure that institutions fully utilize data as valuable resources.
- What is research in institutional research? In week 5, we discuss what research is and is not, and highlight the important role in addressing questions, finding answers, and uncovering new lines of inquiry.
- How does IR contribute to data-informed decision cultures? In week 6, we discuss data-informed decision environments and highlight how IR professionals help foster and support them at their institutions.
The online course is asynchronous but within a timeframe. That is, each core lesson has a dedicated week in which participants engage with the lesson content (papers and videos) and complete the relevant exercises.
Optional Face-to-Face Seminar: May 27–28
Pricing: $300 member/$500 nonmember
Once you complete the online course, join your cohort for a two-day interactive seminar where we continue to consider the field of IR with a truly holistic perspective. This mentor-led experience provides a deeper exploration of course topics, a dynamic examination of the challenges faced by individual course participants, and the establishment of networks that enhance personal and professional development.
"Participation in the face-to-face seminar helped me find a very succinct way to grow my network, not just of people who are at institutions similar to mine, but also people who are at institutions of different sizes, offices that are different sizes, and from organizations that are not just colleges or universities." —Bethany Miller
"Meeting the people with whom I connected online face-to-face—to be able to share those discussions, learn from other people, hear from the speakers and the course leaders—was the most beneficial part of the program." —Stuart Terry
If you have any special needs addressed by the American with Disabilities Act, please contact the AIR Education Team at 850-385-4155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.